[pianotech] Diaphragmizing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 16:41:39 PST 2009

What would be the argument for thinning on a compression and not on a RC&S
board, floats aside?  On RC&S boards where there is no float I believe that
Del advises thinning in the tail (which is what I have routinely done),
though I will let him comment  for himself.   With a float, btw, the tail is
actually made thicker with a lamination which also keeps the otherwise
unlaminated panel from splitting.  Since the flexibility of the panel is
reduced at the edges by virtue of the proximity to the inner rim I can see
the argument for some thinning near the edges though perhaps not a gradual
taper all the way to the center of the board which is, I suppose, what true
diaphragmizing intended-or not.  It sounds as if the reasons for thinning
were developed empirically rather than theoretically.  Still, I do wonder
what the arguments might be for and/or against especially in an RC&S board
and especially in the upper part of the scale.   Michael Spreeman has made
some comments which also intrigue me regarding why one would thin only on
one side of the panel (not on the cutoff side)-btw Michael, if I may ask
(and if you don't want to say I understand), what style of boards are these?
>From your comments I deduce that they are a combination of rib crowing with
some compression.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com