[pianotech] Fw: Newman pics of piano

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 07:18:35 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Mike Kurta <mkurta1 at comcast.net> wrote:

>      I wonder if there is a dollar limit on new replacement items.  Would
> a piano have to be covered under a separate rider such as valuable things
> like furs and coin collections.
>     Mike Kurta

I had an adjuster call me wanting to know the value of a piano that an ice
dam had caused a roof leak onto. I had been there looked it over and given
them an estimate for a rebuild and refinish.
The adjuster wanted to know the current value of the piano, I gave him some
general condition facts, pre-leak and suggested he check with the guy at
Bluebookofpianos.com. For $20 bluebook will give a valuation and some
history about the manufacturer, which doesn't put you on the spot as the
appraiser who's also looking to make a buck fixing it.
The piano was an Ivers & Pond 5' grand c1909 w/Lois IV cabinet, he thanked
me and apparantly contacted the bluebook and the customer got a $6200 payoff
for his piano. It didn't cover the complete costs but it went a long way
toward it.
The customer then looked around on the internet and found 2 pianos that
looked like his, same brand, furniture style, fully rebuilt and refinished.
One had already sold for $10,500, the other was for sale at $13,900.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404