[pianotech] lacquer

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 08:57:19 PST 2009

Spray. And I've found that Deft spray-can stuff disturbs the gilding less than any other type, for some reason. ( It'll get brown and depressing looking, at first, but then it will dry with no apparent disruption of the gilding. ) I know this isn't the way the "Big Boys" do it, on super-high-end insruments, but it looks very nice, to me, and the cans are easy to turn this way and that to get at places.

Disclaimer:  Always experiment on something of your own ( like a  piece of old plate ) before implementing anyone's advice on a customer's instrument.

Euphonious Thumpe