[pianotech] lacquer

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Jan 26 11:34:58 PST 2009

Egads!  Spray.  I can't imagine brushing clear coat on a plate with all those contours.  It would be challenging to get an even coat on the whole works.  Not saying it can't be done, but I sure wouldn't.  For my finish stuff, I order products from Walter Wurdack, Inc.  at www.wurdack.com.  You can get clear lacquer in rattle cans, by the gallon or more, ebony in the gallon or more, also Steinway gold in rattle can or gallon, etc.  Wurdack supplies the coatings for S&S, and is what you'll get if you order it from S&S, though it'll cost 3x as much (really).

William R. Monroe

  List,
  I need to put a coat or two of clear lacquer on a regilded plate, but I would like to get some suggestions on either spraying or brushing . Also your favorite brands.
  Thanks,
  RU/UP