[pianotech] Wire wound string question

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 05:41:41 PST 2009

Greetings,

         On wire wound strings in  the tenor, could an unraveling at its top,
or a sloppy winding cause a  strange
voicing of the string?  It just makes this "weird" sounding  note.  It caused
a buzz, which I remedied by cutting the  obviously loose couple winds at the
top, however, the weird sound remains.

          We're talking a  cheap off brand console, (possibly sloppily wound
in a child labor sweat  shop...sore kid's hands or something??)  where the top
1" or so of winding  left something to be desired.

          Would the remedy be  to replace the string? If so, will the note's
sound match the others in quality?  I told the owner that I can't guarantee
that this "orphan" sounding note would  match the others with the replacement of
the string. Also its a tenor bichord.  Is it a good idea to replace both
strings?,The other one doesn't sound that bad,  but if I mix a new one and an old
one maybe it'll sound worse?  Suggestions?

Thanks,
Julia Gottshall
Reading PA