[pianotech] Wire wound string question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Jan 27 06:10:02 PST 2009

KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>

>          On wire wound strings in the tenor, could an unraveling at its
> top, or a sloppy winding cause a strange
> voicing of the string?  It just makes this "weird" sounding note.  It
> caused a buzz, which I remedied by cutting the obviously loose couple
> winds at the top, however, the weird sound remains.
>
>           We're talking a cheap off brand console, (possibly sloppily
> wound in a child labor sweat shop...sore kid's hands or something??)
>  where the top 1" or so of winding left something to be desired.
>
>           Would the remedy be to replace the string? If so, will the
> note's sound match the others in quality? I told the owner that I can't
> guarantee that this "orphan" sounding note would match the others with
> the replacement of the string. Also its a tenor bichord. Is it a good
> idea to replace both strings?,The other one doesn't sound that bad, but
> if I mix a new one and an old one maybe it'll sound worse? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Julia Gottshall
> Reading PA

Yes, in the best of all possible worlds, replacing both gives you the
best chance of them sounding the same. This doesn't mean that that
unison will necessarily sound like it's neighbors.

Winning a lottery is more likely to happen than replacing just one
string of a multi-string unison and having it sound acceptable, let
alone good.

Careful measurement of existing strings and a reputable string maker (I
like Arledge) give you your best shot. You get what you pay for and you
probably will double the value of the PSO, but owner satisfaction is
what makes your reputation.

Give your favorite string maker a call and find out exactly what
measurements are required.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076