[pianotech] 1st grand regulation musing

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:17:33 PST 2009

First, thank you to everyone who provides help to this list.  I live 5 hours from my chapter and can't attend meetings though phone calls to members help (thanks Steve Walthall).  I use this list, PACE materials, Reblitz, Potter DVD's and the like to learn.

I just finished my regulation after installing new hammers.  I learned a lot and enjoyed myself very much.  Now a few thoughts on the final result.  I would appreciate any input on my observations.

1.  While I used manufacturer specs for guidlines I just could not get past making the touch feel the way I wanted.  I have played the piano (concert level) for 38 years, taught for 20, so I know what I like.  The patient was a 30 year old Baldwin 7' grand that had had nothing but tunings for that time ( as far as I could tell).  It plays very nicely now if I say so myself.  I am still waiting to hear from the pianist but so far his silence speaks volumes.

2.  I found that as I was doing final precise regulations the aftertouch benefited from some key dip adjustment.  Very minor amounts but still adding dip helped.  Is this acceptable?

3.  I did not change the front rail punchings as these were is good condition.  However the bottom of the key stroke feels a bit hard for lack of a better way to describe it.  Is this a problem fresh punchings would have helped or is there another possible issue?

4.    The whippens made a very noisey drop on the capstans so I brushed and revived the existing felt.  No sound now.  Is this felt replaceable?  If so how do you do it - it seems like it would be a monster project?

I will leave it there for now as I know more things will come in the future.  Many thanks again.

Sincerely,

Steven Hopp (associate preparing for testing this summer)