[pianotech] Estonia

Brad Smith, RPT pianotech at smithpiano.com
Tue Jan 27 09:10:22 PST 2009

2cts worth....it is possible to break the pin off.
Years ago at Berklee Performance Center (Boston) we had a Yamaha CFIII that
was had been restrung by a guy who was paranoid about having the tightest
possible pins on his rebuilds.   It was nearly impossible to tune.  My gig
at the time was concert tuning there at least every week, and eventually I
sheared off 2 pins just before a concert.  I managed to mute off the
offenders to get through the night.

The rebuilder came back to verify, and sheared off another pin by himself.
 So, he had to come back and repin the whole piano as part of his contract.

The procedure worked out to be removing the pins, and repinning with the
same size, as the act of turning them out and pounding in a new one eased
the holes just enough to have a nice tight but tunable fit.   I think he
sheared off several more in the process as well.   I don't remember other
details, such as drill bit size used, or pinblock material.  Seems to me it
was Delignit because it was late 80's and that seemed to be the block
material du jour at the time.

Another thought....tuning technique could factor in.   Some people 'bump'
the lever, which might mean they get too aggressive trying to move a
stubborn pin.  Others pull / push with a combination of fingers and thumb
grip (my preferred method, most of the time, but you adjust according to the
feel of the block, IMHO). It shouldn't matter though, if a pin is so tight
that the act of tuning it shears it off, its too much torque.

Might be smart to invest in a torque wrench and track what you are
experiencing.  CYA

--
Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT