[pianotech] Young Chang Growing Brackets

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 28 02:48:09 PST 2009

Hi David:

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate the little bit of hand holding here.  I
trust my feel of an action as my final arbiter too - I have regulated plenty
of actions that were "correct" by the book, but did not feel right.  Digging
deeper yielded other problems, which were then resolved and ended up with a
good feeling and better performance.

Of course, you are right about the bad assumption and specs guide.  You and
I have NEVER seen an action that was not properly set up at the factory
right?  :-)  The specs are only a reference point and a point of departure
as needed, but they do have value up to that point.

The balance weight is a bit stout, but this is after all a Korean action.
The knuckle leather is a bit sloppy, and snugging them up with thin bushing
cloth would improve this, along with lubrication.

As for dip, I am usually an aftertouch priority type of guy, and set even
aftertouch rather than dip.  But, it would appear from my samples that the
two are not in particular disagreement anyway.  The string height -hammer
bore relationships appear that they are not going to skew these values .

Will