[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 14:25:42 PST 2009

Hi Marco -

Do you have any test between the regular ribs and the laminated ones regarding flexibility, stiffness or other relevant differences?

I have heard some folks say that between a laminated rib and a solid rib of equal cross-sectional areas that the laminated rib will be more stiff. I have not done extensive studies, but I have tested a half-dozen or so - put a load on them and measure deflection - and I have observed no difference. I really don't see why there would be any difference. But, as with so many things I promulgate, I could be wrong.

Also, do you follow any criteria to scalloping the ribs in relation with length and thickness?

Yes, but that is part of the piano design - it's not anything that is inherent to a laminated rib vs. a solid rib. Most all the ribbed soundboards I have built have been to the design work of Del Fandrich, and so I tapered the ribs as per his design specifications.

Looks like you have a nice vacuum bagging system for your laminated ribs!

Terry Farrell
  Some of you make and assemble the laminated ribs for a longer period of time, compared to me.

  Do you have any test between the regular ribs and the laminated ones regarding flexibility, stiffness or other relevant differences?

  Also, do you follow any criteria to scalloping the ribs in relation with length and thickness?

  Marco De Lellis