[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 14:38:57 PST 2009

Hi Marco
? I have used laminated ribs infrequently. Although I agree with the big boss as to a more stable Modulus of elasticity they can still vary a great deal depending on the grain density/wood density you laminate with.?Laminating two sets of identical Stwy B ribs using wider grain wood on one & very tight grain on the other,?indicated a?definite and marked difference in the strength of those two sets. The denser grain was a stiffer set of ribs.?I believe it important to make note of this?difference & make an informed decision about stiffness parameters. Ie. how deep/wide/crowned the rib should be...cutouts.?
?The next best thing to?Laminated ribs?is?good set of?stiff Sitka ribs cut from the same cant of wood, which,?will yield a more even M.E. than ribs selected willy nilly as the to grain count. Wood density/stiffness will be more uniform.
? I know it's always something.

?I'm open to hear more comment on this.
? Dale

?

?

?

Hi List,

Some of you make and assemble the laminated ribs for a longer period of time, compared to me.

Do you have any test between the regular ribs and the laminated ones regarding flexibility, stiffness or other relevant differences?

Also, do you follow any criteria to scalloping the ribs in relation with length and thickness?

?

Thanks all

?

?