[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Jan 28 20:09:22 PST 2009

I have found that using reasonable care in selecting the various laminations the
mass and stiffness of the resulting laminated ribs is consistent enough for
practical use. It is far more consistent than using ribs coming from random
sources. Cutting all of the ribs from a given cant may result in slightly more
consistency but -- as you say -- the tendency of some is to "look at these
things with a microscope when a magnifying glass will do." In this case the
magnifying glass is adequate and considerably better than the raw eyeball of the
past.

Consistency is only one benefit of laminated ribs; at least with the process I
use and present in my seminars. I glue up the laminated ribs in carefully curved
cauls so the crown radius is molded into the structure of the rib. It is a
process I find to be both effective and elegant.

ddf

  _____