[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Thu Jan 29 10:19:45 PST 2009

Whether you shuffle the deck or not, lam-ribs are most likely stiffer than
the inherent wood species simply by dint of the many glue joints, especially
if there are many such joints. Glulams in building construction are renowned
for this and such built up beams can span long distances using
lighter-weight members with minimal need for intermediate supports. Yet, I
wouldn’t guess that the E factor (elasticity in psi) is noticeably higher in
soundboard ribs; negligible in fact. Stiffness, in and of itself, is a
meaningless goal: it is only relative to the manifold goal of creating a
soundboard spring and balancing impedance issues. In most building design
and construction stiffness is usually a top priority as relatively large
deflections under dead and live loads are undesirable. Piano soundboards
require a measurable deflection under bearing in order to satisfy the
conditions of spring-building per the classical physics of potential and
kinetic energy and work.

Crude shop tests, the likes of which we are all prone to make, will not
yield much useful data except perhaps in a broad way. Now having said that,
lam-ribs fashioned by pressing into a curved caul exhibit several notable
differences from ordinary ribs.

Number 1: strictly practical, cutting a crown into a rib is not required as
the rib-lam pressing creates the crown. True, there is other work involved
in gluing up the lams and then processing, but I find rib-lams easier and
more fun. Also, with rib-lams wood grain is not removed as in crown cutting,
rather it is maintained in length (to whatever degree it was pure to begin
with) along with the other lams.

Number 2: more importantly there is a world of difference in the mechanical
behavior between a rib-lam and an ordinary rib. A rib-lam, what I also refer
to as a “leaf-spring rib”, has built into it opposing forces of tension and
compression, not unlike that of a pressed hammer. The bending stresses and
strains introduced into the lams are no where near the serious limit of
fiber stress. Still, these forces, for practical purposes, are forever
present in the rib, notwithstanding stress-set, creep and later plastic
deformation over many years, which would account for a perhaps ½ of the
initial set when newly pressed (don’t confuse this to mean half the crown
will disappear).

Number 3: Rib-lams are related to true arches whereas ordinary ribs, whether
crown cut or not, operate solely as beams or girders. The only true arching
that takes place with ordinary ribs, flat or crowned to begin with, occurs
during panel compression in end-use ambient conditions. Flat ribs pressed in
crowned presses have introduced into them the same stress conditions as
rib-lams (the holding effect only taking place at the rib-panel interface),
and this before any panel compression later on increases that arch even
further. True arching, however it is attained, is always a good thing from
perspectives of strength-to-weight ratios, of manageable stiffness, and of
the “spring” we should be building into our soundboards. Much more to be
said RE arches: boundary effects at the rim and deflection values vs. beams,
but space is limited.

Number 4: More mass in the treble is also a relative concept as it relates
to impedance. Recall that impedance is neutral, like many concepts in
physics and engineering. Impedance (Z) represents the overall opposition to
soundboard system movement as transmitted by string vibrations. Ignoring
internal friction and air pressure, the two prominent impeding factors are
mass and stiffness; increasing mass always increases stiffness, but
increasing stiffness does not increase mass. Power output (initial loudness
or pop) is at odds with sustain. Balancing these two forces begins with a
grasp of science, but is ultimately determined by artistic ears, and this is
subjective to a degree.

The theory of Z tells us that mass “traps” higher and highest frequencies;
these can find no voice as they come up against an immovable wall. This
relationship is expressed within a larger mathematical compass when Z
increases as f x m (frequency times mass) and Z is said to be
“mass-dominated”. On the other hand, as frequencies trend lower, Z again
becomes large when Z changes as k/f (stiffness divided by frequency) and Z
is now “stiffness-dominated”. The theory suggests that care should be taken
to control mass in the treble, and care should be taken to reduce serious
stiffness in the bass and tenor. In the final analysis our ears must be the
judge and guide us as to the next project, especially as same model piano
comes into the shop.

Nick

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild