[pianotech] very old pianos

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 00:34:09 PST 2009

It´s not the age. Here in Germany there are many very old uprights which are quite good and even in a good condition. But the climate here is quite stable. Actually, I sell a Rawie upright from 1897 in my shop , but it was rebuilt about 40 years ago. Very nice piano:

http://www.weldert.de/verkauf_gebraucht.php

The oldest piano I worked on was a Gebrüde Knake from my hometown Münster from 1880 or so (no birdcage). I reshaped hammers, tightened all screws, replaced some felts and center pins, leveled keys, regulated the action and tuned it to 435 Hz. The result was nice.

Gregor