[pianotech] very old pianos

Scott Jackson scottwaynejackson at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 07:00:00 PST 2009

For the anglo speakers who find Deutsch a challenge, try putting the address into  http://translate.google.com.au/
Not too bad! It understands that Klavierstimmung is piano-tuning, but translates Stimmung as mood. I also tried http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ but it's not as good. It calls tuning Tendency.

Scott Jackson

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gregor _
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] very old pianos

  It´s not the age. Here in Germany there are many very old uprights which are quite good and even in a good condition. But the climate here is quite stable. Actually, I sell a Rawie upright from 1897 in my shop , but it was rebuilt about 40 years ago. Very nice piano:

  http://www.weldert.de/verkauf_gebraucht.php

  The oldest piano I worked on was a Gebrüde Knake from my hometown Münster from 1880 or so (no birdcage). I reshaped hammers, tightened all screws, replaced some felts and center pins, leveled keys, regulated the action and tuned it to 435 Hz. The result was nice.

  Gregor