[pianotech] very old pianos

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 05:29:58 PST 2009

"I never refuse to work on a piano unless the cost of repair is way beyond the worth of the instrument..."

So if a customer has an old upright with a beat-up plain case but the mechanics of the piano are in surprisingly good condition, you'd refuse to do a pitch raise, tuning, and a basic regulation - easily $500 worth of work on a $200 piano - family heirloom and all that....?

I'm not trying to pick your post apart Marc, but a lot of piano owners and newbie techs read this forum and I think sometimes they can take what appears in this forum a little too verbatim. I do agree that your statement has merit - just that there can be numerous exceptions.

Terry Farrell