[pianotech] very old pianos

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jan 29 05:38:49 PST 2009

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Leslie Bartlett
> <l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Do any of you simply refuse to work on pianos approaching 100 years old?
>> When do such things cease to be pianos.......  ?
>> les bartlett

I like to eat, sleep in a warm dry place, wear clothing appropriate to
climate and occasion, use transport other than my own feet, and
occasionally have a beer. These things cost money. People give me money
to work on pianos. Money received from working on an 1950s Betsy Ross
spinet spends just as well as that received from working on a Steinway D.

...and sometimes the Lester owner is more appreciative.

If I've got a sporting chance of improving the piano during my visit,
I'm happy, too. I do, however, generally know when the point of
diminishing returns has been reached and will gently inform the customer
of that fact. (I can always use kindling...)

As long as someone is willing to pay me to visit their piano, I'm there.

--
Conrad