[pianotech] very old pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 29 06:03:11 PST 2009

> Here in Montreal, a very large quantity of pianos are 100 years old. I never
> refuse to work on a piano unless the cost of repair is way beyond the worth
> of the instrument or the budget is too limited.
>
> I don't get it, we're piano technicians - why would you refuse to do your
> job? Sure some pianos are a charm to work on and some are hell, but that's
> what makes it challenging. Also, you get a good reputation and decent money
> if you do good work. Just charge accordingly.
>
> PIANO LANCO
> Marc Lanthier

It's a matter of what you have to work with. If old upright
service makes up a significant portion of your income, you
cheerfully work on the old uprights. If you're already faced
with more high level concert and studio work, tuning and
maintenance, than you can handle, you let someone else do the
old uprights. At whatever in between work load mix you may
find yourself, you adjust what you're willing to do to
accommodate what you're able to do, and unless you're a big
fan of futility and frustration, you adjust upward. It just
doesn't make sense to abandon higher level work, if it's
available, to do patch work on old uprights. Survive first,
but be willing to be spoiled should the opportunity present.

Ron N