[pianotech] 1st grand regulation musing

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Thu Jan 29 08:42:12 PST 2009

>>While I used manufacturer specs for guidlines I just could not get past making the touch feel the way I wanted.

Hey Steven,
Your above statement ran through my head for my first 15 years or so of piano work. I assume your meaning is 'Why, when everything is regulated properly, does one piano fell great, and another not so great?'
There has got to be something more going on here, right? Right!!!
1. Action Geometry
2. Action Ratio
3. Friction
4. Hammer weight
5. Amount of Key Leading
I'm just trying to point you in some new directions here. We could get involved in any one of these points and fill an email. Needless to say, Baldwin missed the boat on most of these points, the ones I've worked on came in with
very high action ratios, high hammer weights and excessive key leading to counter the first two, add to this high friction at the knuckle because of the high hammer weight and you have more than a few things working against you.
Easy fixes, well some more than others.
Let's play with a typical Baldwin.
Determine individual ratio of each component and overall action ratio.
Move the capstan forward to give closer to a 2 - 1 key advantage at the same time helping the whippen out by improving it's ratio to something like 1.5 - 1. Take a look at the knuckle and see if getting it out to 17 mm will give you a jack/core line up and something like 7.5 - 1. Check action spread for 4.40. ( Go figure, A440 ). And look it all those other nice round numbers. Off with the hammers and shanks to lighten the hammers using a gram scale for a nice taper and relocate the knuckle.
Let's look at our new ratio.
Hammer  7.5 x whip 1.5 = 11.25  divided by the key 2 = 5.625. It was probably 6.6 before, plus you've lightened the hammers.
Check friction in pinning and keys.
Now you can start pulling some lead out of those keys, this is really going to help the action play, people can't believe the difference when you get the lead out.
Set a balance weight of around 38 to 40.
There is SOOOOO much more to making an action playable than regulation. And there is no end to the fun we can have working on these beasts.
I know you don't start redesigning actions on your first job, but you can start measuring and making assessments of the actions you work on, you will soon begin to feel the actions that have high action ratios and high key leading and you will start to see appropriate design improvements that can be made. Then you'll be dangerous.
The first step in any of this is accurate measurement, you won't hurt any body by measuring things, so get some expensive dividers and calipers, etc. and start writing stuff down.
Fenton