[pianotech] Estonia pianos

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 27 08:28:56 PST 2009

Hello

     Since the subject of an Estonia piano came up on the list; would
anyone familiar with these pianos care to comment more.

     I don't know these Estonia pianos, but now have one client with a
6'grand Estonia that has a curious tone.

     This client  seems convinced it is a very high end piano.
I regulated and tuned it to find the end result tonally rather thin and
lacking. I don't have faith much voicing with help because plucking the
string does not produce sustain and body I like and any attempt to get
more power resulted in what I best describe as "distortion." By this I
mean that there appears to be  "ceiling" limit to how much the belly
can produce and any attempt to go beyond overdrives the tone. Don't
take this as an accurate description of what is actually physically taking place, it is by best attempt to descibe what I am hearing. My impression
is it has been overvocied down at some point in an attempt to tame some
of the "uglies" in the tone.

      I am curious of others impression of the brand, any real observations
regarding their characteristics, and any facts regarding the company.

                                         Cheers
                                         David Renaud