[pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 13:28:59 PST 2009

 Hi Nick
  Nice clear post....AS usual.
  Thanks
  Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Gravagne <gravagnegang at att.net>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:19 am
Subject: Re: [pianotech] FW: laminated ribs again

Whether you shuffle the deck or not, lam-ribs are most likely stiffer than the inherent wood species simply by dint of the many glue joints, especially if there are many such joints. Glulams in building construction are renowned for this and such built up beams can span long distances using lighter-weight members with minimal need for intermediate supports. Yet, I wouldn’t guess that the E factor (elasticity in psi) is noticeably higher in soundboard ribs; negligible in fact. Stiffness, in and of itself, is a meaningless goal: it is only relative to the manifold goal of creating a soundboard spring and balancing impedance issues. In most building design and construction stiffness is usually a top priority as relatively large deflections under dead and live loads are undesirable. Piano soundboards require a measurable deflection under bearing in order to satisfy the conditions of spring-building per the classical physics of potential and kinetic energy and work.

Crude shop tests, the likes of which we are all prone to make, will not yield much useful data except perhaps in a broad way. Now having said that, lam-ribs fashioned by pressing into a curved caul exhibit several notable differences from ordinary ribs.

Number 1: strictly practical, cutti
ng a crown into a rib is not required as the rib-lam pressing creates the crown. True, there is other work involved in gluing up the lams and then processing, but I find rib-lams easier and more fun. Also, with rib-lams wood grain is not removed as in crown cutting, rather it is maintained in length (to whatever degree it was pure to begin with) along with the other lams.

Number 2: more importantly there is a world of difference in the mechanical behavior between a rib-lam and an ordinary rib. A rib-lam, what I also refer to as a “leaf-spring rib”, has built into it opposing forces of tension and compression, not unlike that of a pressed hammer. The bending stresses and strains introduced into the lams are no where near the serious limit of fiber stress. Still, these forces, for practical purposes, are forever present in the rib, notwithstanding stress-set, creep and later plastic deformation over many years, which would account for a perhaps ½ of the initial set when newly pressed (don’t confuse this to mean half the crown will disappear).

Number 3: Rib-lams are related to true arches whereas ordinary ribs, whether crown cut or not, operate solely as beams or girders. The only true arching that takes place with ordinary ribs, flat or crowned to begin with, occurs during panel compression in end-use ambient conditions. Flat ribs pressed in crowned presses have introduced into them the same stress conditions as rib-lams (the holding effect only taking place
 at the rib-panel interface), and this before any panel compression later on increases that arch even further. True arching, however it is attained, is always a good thing from perspectives of strength-to-weight ratios, of manageable stiffness, and of the “spring” we should be building into our soundboards. Much more to be said RE arches: boundary effects at the rim and deflection values vs. beams, but space is limited.

Number 4: More mass in the treble is also a relative concept as it relates to impedance. Recall that impedance is neutral, like many concepts in physics and engineering. Impedance (Z) represents the overall opposition to soundboard system movement as transmitted by string vibrations. Ignoring internal friction and air pressure, the two prominent impeding factors are mass and stiffness; increasing mass always increases stiffness, but increasing stiffness does not increase mass. Power output (initial loudness or pop) is at odds with sustain. Balancing these two forces begins with a grasp of science, but is ultimately determined by artistic ears, and this is subjective to a degree.

The theory of Z tells us that mass “traps” higher and highest frequencies; these can find no voice as they come up against an immovable wall. This relationship is expressed within a larger mathematical compass when Z increases as f x m (frequency times mass) and Z is said to be “mass-dominated”. On the other hand, as frequencies trend lower, Z again becomes large when Z=2
0changes as k/f (stiffness divided by frequency) and Z is now “stiffness-dominated”. The theory suggests that care should be taken to control mass in the treble, and care should be taken to reduce serious stiffness in the bass and tenor. In the final analysis our ears must be the judge and guide us as to the next project, especially as same model piano comes into the shop.

Nick

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers