[pianotech] Old age

David Lawson Pianos dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Thu Jan 29 14:15:18 PST 2009

I am approaching retirement after 52 years in the piano world.
The main problem I have is my back. After all those years of lifting these wonderful musical instruments, they have at last done me in.
I only mention this because I feel that we should all take heed of the eventual problems we will have with our backs, by lifting pianos.
I have always delivered my own uprights, on my own, and indeed most grands, with help. Being a 'mucho guy and a hero' I guess, has proven what a fool I was.
To all the younger techs out there, who will face the need to lift pianos, get someone else to do it. Concentrate on doing the tech work, as you have nothing to prove by lifting pianos, other than you are a dill, like me.
Best, David Lawson Wangaratta Australia