[pianotech] How long to wait to tune...

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 16:13:25 PST 2009

Hi,

I provide much of the tuning service for the Illinois Music Educators Association All-State Conference--you know, one of those state-wide high school extravaganzas .  The big concert is held in the arena (ice) and the piano has to be ready by 6 a.m. Saturday morning.  In the past, the piano was delivered on Thursday, I'd tune it on Friday afternoon and then go in early on Saturday to do any necessary touch up.  Well.....this year the venue won't allow the piano to be delivered until noon on Friday.  Crud.  This was always an easy gig--if you think tuning is easy in a very chilly loading area that smells like garbage and has  gargantuan blowers going .  Actually, it always worked out well.

I believe the piano is spending the night in the truck (temp tonight 11 degrees).  I would estimate the temperature at the arena to be around 60 degrees.

I suppose I would be spinning my wheels if I tried tuning 6, 7 or 8 hours after delivery.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!  Otherwise, it looks like a 4:00 a.m. tuning Saturday morning.  Bleh...

Thanks for your opinions,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

near Peoria, Illinois