[pianotech] Best Bushing Job Ever!

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sat Jan 31 06:57:32 PST 2009

Hi,

Best bushing job by ME, that is!  No doubt there have been better jobs by
others, but I was so elated at how well my last job went, I thought I had to
share this.

Usually when I return with the keys I allow some time to ease those that may
be a little tight yet.  On average, I suppose that's ten keys or so.  This
last job ALL of the bushings were a PERFECT fit.  The only thing I had to do
was ream a couple of the insides of the balance holes - with a reamer I got
from Jurgen (fine tool).

I think what may have made the difference this time was that I ironed all the
bushings lightly at the end of the job.  OR, it may have been that it was my
first use of what Schaff calls their "extra quality key bushing cloth".  What
do you think?  Either or both?

For ironing I used the Schaff 5-in-1 Electric Iron Kit, #99, shown on page 66
of their catalog.

I controlled the heat with a light dimmer that I bought from a local lighting
store.  It works great and was 1/4 the cost of the #906 ESICO Wattage
Controller shown above the Iron Kit in the Schaff Catalog.  You plug the
dimmer cord into the wall, and then plug the iron into the dimmer, so it's
like getting an extension cord as well as a wattage controller.  That iron
gets pretty hot on full wattage, and the bushing cloth would surely burn on
HI.

Hope somebody gets some help from this.  From now on I'll do all bushing jobs
this way.  The "extra quality" bushing cloth is not much more $$ at all, and
the ironing takes only a couple of minutes.

John Dorr
Helena, MT