[pianotech] Best Bushing Job Ever!

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Jan 31 07:36:51 PST 2009

Hi John,

Glad to hear of your success.  I too have found that an extra ironing step
solves a number of fitting issues when back at the piano.  Completely worth
it in terms of job satisfaction and time saved.  I've used both the iron
with specific size cauls, and I've also simply re-inserted the same set of
cauls (nicely warmed) that I used to glue in the bushings.  Re-inserted
because I've removed them after initial cure to add Teflon powder to the
bushings.

I'm not familiar with the difference between Schaff's two types of bushing
felt - I use Pianotek whenever I can as opposed to Schaff.  I find, without
fail that IF there can be a difference in quality in a particular supply,
part, product, tool, etc., Schaff's will be of a lower quality compared to
Pianotek.

That said, I'd suspect the "extra quality" is more dense, less spongy,
giving you a more controlled sizing.  I always start with the highest
quality materials I can get.  They typically aren't that much more (if they
are, it's worth it anyway), and it makes my subsequent mistakes less
obvious.   <G>  Cost of our supplies really shouldn't matter much anyway,
IMO.  The cost of supplies, etc., is included in my bill.

William R. Monroe

> Hi,
>
> Best bushing job by ME, that is!

SNIP

> I think what may have made the difference this time was that I ironed all
> the bushings lightly at the end of the job.  OR, it may have been that it
> was my first use of what Schaff calls their "extra quality key bushing
> cloth".  What do you think?  Either or both?
>
> For ironing I used the Schaff 5-in-1 Electric Iron Kit, #99, shown on page
> 66 of their catalog.
>
> I controlled the heat with a light dimmer that I bought from a local
> lighting store.

SNIP