[pianotech] Acceptable pitch for an old upright

Jack Wells tuner1 at mail.com
Sat Jan 31 12:29:47 PST 2009

I recently tuned a Marshall & Wendell upright for a new customer.  It had
85 keys and bi-chord plain wire in the 3rd and 4th octaves.  It had been
re-strung, new felt, etc. and was in good condition.

I couldn't determine its age, but it was a good 40 cents below A440.  I
did a pitch raise to A438 to avoid overpulling the strings, then fine
tuned.  It all went well.

Upon further research, I determined that the piano was probably built in
the 1890s (Serial # 12095).

Question: Since std pitch was A435 in late 1800s, will A438 put too much
tension on the plate over time?

I will gladly do a free pitch lower and tuning to rectify this if it is
advisable.
I posted this to "ask the expert" on PTG, and they said to direct
technical inquiries here.
Thanks,   Jack Wells   Associate Member, PTG

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com