[pianotech] Acceptable pitch for an old upright

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Jan 31 12:55:38 PST 2009

I can't imagine an old upright not being able to take the additional
tension of 3 or 5 Hz, provided that the structure is still sound. I
mean, pianos back then were not engineered so close to the point of
imploding, and were very likely way overbuilt. And since the strings
have been replaced I'd not worry about them breaking either.

Tom Cole
37 years and no broken uprights yet.