[pianotech] very old pianos

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Jan 31 13:06:00 PST 2009

Hi Paul, and others,

I think most ethical technicians tend to do the right thing.  I also think it can be a challenge to convey our approaches via email.  Most of us are probably all thinking similar thoughts, but express it differently in writing.

My approach is fairly simple, and I honestly don't ever feel like I "need to be careful" about a service approach to a particular piano.  The first step for me is education.  I make no presumption to assess the sentimental value of a piano.  My assessments are purely functional/musical in nature.  My clients are told exactly (or as nearly as possible) what they have, what the problems are (including age problems), and what the various service solutions are.  They are also told very clearly what level of performance they can expect if/when all the recommended service work is done.  This also includes a "here's what a new or newer used piano might cost you today" summary.

What is important to me is that my clients understand fully what their options are, what they can reasonably expect for whatever money - including the idea that if they choose to invest money in most of these oldies, they can expect that it will not increase the value of the piano one bit (without some degree of restoration/rebuilding).  A key concept for some clients is the recognition that with most old instruments, they are investing money in themselves, in their enjoyment of playing, not in the piano.  While that enjoyment may not be as much as a new piano, it doesn't cost as much either.

Now, with all this in mind, the client makes a choice, not me.  If I've done my job well, and my clients are properly educated, they will make "A" right choice for themselves (I believe most often there can be more than one appropriate choice).  Most times these days, my clients choose to upgrade to a better instrument.  On occasion, I have clients that choose to invest $1500 to shape hammers, rebush keys, clean, lube, tighten, regulate, etc. an old 5' grand, for example.  It's still worth nothing, but it has taken an unplayable old wreck and made it a reasonably functional instrument.  And now, I have a satisfied client who was not lead to believe they would have anything other than what they now have.

Easy as pie.  <G>

William R. Monroe

  It's too bad that the work invested wouldn't bring the investment value! $500-$1,000 invested in an old upright still would only be worth $300-500.(rarely more) Many old uprights are/were great instruments and I tell customers that the original makers, having been long gone by now, would be impressed that they're still in service!  I don't know where to draw the "line" on these old things....I have been offered old uprights for donation to the School of Music, but I respectfully decline their generous offer.  As beautiful as they appear on the outside, they still will never be able to handle the 15 hours/day of abuse....for the beginning student, I hope y'all take that into consideration whether or not it will perform. Remember that the original price of these PSO's were probably less than $500.

  It's a fine line where to "draw the line" on these old beauties, but sometimes you have to.  Where I was on Whidbey Island, WA, there were several per week that were Grandma's wedding present and the like....I could see the tears well up in their eyes when I would have to say that the piano was either unfixable, or fixable for substantial investments..Others I would state that they "might" hold a tune, fix a broken string, or whatever, collect my fee and move on.  The line is very fine indeed!  I advise all to walk carefully on the old beauties...they were, of course at one time, very nice pianos!

  Paul