[pianotech] very old pianos

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Jan 31 11:51:06 PST 2009

It's too bad that the work invested wouldn't bring the investment value!
$500-$1,000 invested in an old upright still would only be worth
$300-500.(rarely more) Many old uprights are/were great instruments and I
tell customers that the original makers, having been long gone by now,
would be impressed that they're still in service!  I don't know where to
draw the "line" on these old things....I have been offered old uprights
for donation to the School of Music, but I respectfully decline their
generous offer.  As beautiful as they appear on the outside, they still
will never be able to handle the 15 hours/day of abuse....for the
beginning student, I hope y'all take that into consideration whether or
not it will perform. Remember that the original price of these PSO's were
probably less than $500.

It's a fine line where to "draw the line" on these old beauties, but
sometimes you have to.  Where I was on Whidbey Island, WA, there were
several per week that were Grandma's wedding present and the like....I
could see the tears well up in their eyes when I would have to say that
the piano was either unfixable, or fixable for substantial
investments..Others I would state that they "might" hold a tune, fix a
broken string, or whatever, collect my fee and move on.  The line is very
fine indeed!  I advise all to walk carefully on the old beauties...they
were, of course at one time, very nice pianos!

Paul

Michael Magness <IFixPianos at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/31/2009 11:07 AM