[pianotech] very old pianos

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 09:06:05 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> I have read, with strong interest, the series of articles in the recent
>> Journals about restringing and replacing pinblocks in old uprights.
>> Most of these are near, if not more than, 100 years old, why would we want
>> to refuse to work on them?
>>

> Mike
>>

> Boy, I wish we could finally get this straightened out just once before I
> die. There's a vast difference between doing field patch up on an ancient
> crappie shelter candidate and rebuilding the old beater. Both are being
> "worked" on, but one  will have something to show for the money and effort
> and the other won't.
>
> Ron N

I thought I covered the whole spectrum in my complete message;

[snip]Yes I do, occasionally but not sight unseen. I charge an estimate fee
for my time, sometimes I have to tell them what they have is firewood
masquerading as a piano. Other times I tell them what repairs it needs then
what we HAVE to do to make it operational enough for their beginner to start
lessons.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404