[pianotech] Best Bushing Job Ever!

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 13:16:33 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:57 AM, John Dorr <a440 at bresnan.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Best bushing job by ME, that is!  No doubt there have been better jobs by
> others, but I was so elated at how well my last job went, I thought I had to
> share this.
>
> Usually when I return with the keys I allow some time to ease those that
> may be a little tight yet.  On average, I suppose that's ten keys or so.
>  This last job ALL of the bushings were a PERFECT fit.  The only thing I had
> to do was ream a couple of the insides of the balance holes - with a reamer
> I got from Jurgen (fine tool).
>
> I think what may have made the difference this time was that I ironed all
> the bushings lightly at the end of the job.  OR, it may have been that it
> was my first use of what Schaff calls their "extra quality key bushing
> cloth".  What do you think?  Either or both?
>
> For ironing I used the Schaff 5-in-1 Electric Iron Kit, #99, shown on page
> 66 of their catalog.
>
> I controlled the heat with a light dimmer that I bought from a local
> lighting store.  It works great and was 1/4 the cost of the #906 ESICO
> Wattage Controller shown above the Iron Kit in the Schaff Catalog.  You plug
> the dimmer cord into the wall, and then plug the iron into the dimmer, so
> it's like getting an extension cord as well as a wattage controller.  That
> iron gets pretty hot on full wattage, and the bushing cloth would surely
> burn on HI.
>
> Hope somebody gets some help from this.  From now on I'll do all bushing
> jobs this way.  The "extra quality" bushing cloth is not much more $$ at
> all, and the ironing takes only a couple of minutes.

I've ironed once or twice with good results, but it was on site after
putting the keys back on the keybed/keyframe. With the relatively few
bushing jobs so far (8-10), it seems to get easier and better each time,
with less need to do much easing. I use Spurlock's mortise sizing cauls
immediately after the old felt is removed. And either Renner felt from
Spurlock, or the high-quality felt from Pianotek. And Spurlock's
double-shoulder cauls.
My next set I'll apply a little VS Profelt after the glue has dried. It is
supposed to yield perfect sizing (to the caul), and lubricate in the
process.  (According to Bob at Pianotek.)

--
JF