[pianotech] Best Bushing Job Ever!

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Jan 31 13:28:58 PST 2009

Hi John,

I love that you are using this VS profelt stuff.  I consider you the test case guinea pig.  I'm curious about the results that can be obtained, but not curious enough to try it yet.  Not knowing what exactly is in it, I'm a little nervous to use it.  So, keep diligent records, John and keep us in the loop.  And, if things don't work out, you can go back to the beginning.......

William R. Monroe

  I've ironed once or twice with good results, but it was on site after putting the keys back on the keybed/keyframe. With the relatively few bushing jobs so far (8-10), it seems to get easier and better each time, with less need to do much easing. I use Spurlock's mortise sizing cauls immediately after the old felt is removed. And either Renner felt from Spurlock, or the high-quality felt from Pianotek. And Spurlock's double-shoulder cauls.

  My next set I'll apply a little VS Profelt after the glue has dried. It is supposed to yield perfect sizing (to the caul), and lubricate in the process.  (According to Bob at Pianotek.)

  --
  JF