[pianotech] singing sustain, what to do?

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 31 14:45:04 PST 2009

Ron,

The whole assembly includes two aluminum extrusions.  The first is
firmly attached to the belly rail.  To this first extrusion are screwed
all of the underlever flanges.  Also screwed to this extrusion are the 3
flanges for the pivoting arms that support the second extrusion:  the
damper tray.  The tray pivot flanges and centers are oversized, almost
twice the size of the old Kawai system.  The lift tray flange screws are
easily accessed, and the tray slides out from under the underlevers once
the sost. blade and monkey are removed.  Incidentally, the sost. blade
is also an aluminum extrusion, with rough quasi-round journals machined
for the bushed brackets.  Had to file the journals closer to round, and
VJ the bushings, to make that squeak go away.  Steinway design and
quality control at Asian prices, it's a marketing miracle!

Mike