[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 3, Issue 282

Ronny Boyd ronnybyd at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 20:50:14 PST 2009

I need to know the year a Matz & Co Bird Cage (over damper)action piano was built. It's not in the 11th addition of the Pierce Atlas and I don't have the 12Th. addition yet.
The serial number is, 10682. The woman who has it, got it from an estate sale and had it refinished at a considerable cost to her. She didn't have a Piano Tech look at it before she bought it as I'm sure he or she would have advised her against buying it.
The action frame is made completely out of wood and I was able to make parts for it to get it back in working order. The pin block is shot but she still wants to fix it so I told her I would try to use CA glue on it but no guarantees that it will hold.
The piano is drop dead beautiful and should be in a museum!
The dampers don't lift straight away from the strings but instead the bottom part lifts first followed by the top part, than just the opposite when they return. I haven't installed it yet but I can see where that will cause problems when playing.
She is very interested in finding out the year and any information she can get on it so if anybody has that info I would sure appreciate it.
This is the first time I have come across an over damper piano and I can see why most techs won't touch them.

Ron Boyd
Milwaukee chapter #532