[pianotech] New hammers

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 1 07:34:15 MDT 2009

Hi, Richard:
	Some good advice so far, but you need to look at what you've got for
hammers.  If they are Abels (decent quality), and no amount of
sample-setting, needling, steaming, etc., is making any difference, maybe a
new set would do.  What does it sound like to you?  Are you getting the
results you're expecting, given the work you've put into those hammers?
Just softening the tone may not be what he's after.  A good set of
resilient hammers really can make a big difference if the old ones are just
rock hard.  Ask this guy what kind of sound he's after, what kind of music
he likes to play, etc. to give you a clue to what he wants.  Weinbach is a
decent piano, so there should be enough there to work with.  Just be sure
to know if he's willing to spend some serious money to get what he wants.
Otherwise he may nickel-and-dime you to death trying to solve this problem.
	Good luck.
	Paul McCloud