[pianotech] New hammers

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 1 16:07:17 MDT 2009

Hi Don:

I've followed this thread through a lot of advice, most of it good.  I think
David's comments below are ones you should pay close heed to.

Still, I don't think you have yet given us enough information to get the
most targeted advice.  What you should do next is based upon what exactly
you have done already (what was the result of steaming to your ear.  Exactly
where in the hammer did you needle, how deep, how much, etc., and what
results did you hear?  How much filing did you do, what grits of paper?).
As best you can describe, what is your skill set and level as a voicer?  Are
you new to this, or have a lot of experience?  Do you usually have
confidence that you can achieve the tonal results you are seeking?  When you
sit down at a piano and listen to it with the intent to analyze the voicing,
are you able to get a clear sense of what you are hearing, where you want to
go, and how you can get there with an applied protocol that gives good
results usually??  David says it is his responsibility to communicate what
he wants, and he is right; but it is not always that simple.  Our customers
often don't have the language to articulate what they want, even when they
have a sensitive and perceptive ear.  Nor do they have an idea of what is
possible in terms of voicing. Your customer may or may not be able to say
what he wants with precision.

I like what David says about this being a partnership.  That is a truly
wonderful way to approach voicing with a customer - let's work together to
give you a great sounding piano.  They feel respected and listened to, and
if you can deliver the goods, you have made a friend for life because they
know they cannot get this from everybody.  But you must show great care in
what decisions you entrust to the customer.  They should not be directing
your voicing, they are not equipped to do so, but they can give you valuable
feedback as you go along.

I enjoy this kind of customer, because they are challenging.  More than once
I have followed the footsteps of one or more technicians.  Sometimes they
had difficulty because the piano made it hard for them. And the piano fought
me too, but I broke through.  If you win them over, they will sing your
praises to other good pianists.  Which is wonderful, if you want to do this
kind of work.

We need to be an interpreter some of the time.  They cannot say exactly what
they mean, so you have to be able to read between the lines.  Ask leading
questions.  Listen, really listen to the piano and make your own
evaluations.  Trust your own ear - it's all you've got.    Listen to your
intuition, it may serve you more than you think.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

Will Truitt