[pianotech] was crown and radius now displacement under load

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 1 18:18:23 MDT 2009

Gene Nelson wrote:
> What is a good way to describe or include into rib design how much the
> board is displaced when set in motion by the strings? How important is
> it to rib design?

Displacement is in the planning, but not directly considered
as such. A low spring rate (flexible) rib will displace more
than a high spring rate rib, but will deflect more under the
same load. Accommodate the load, crown, and deflection, and
the displacement (excursion) in use will take care of itself.
It's a very tiny movement compared to the excursion of the
strings.

> One thing that I have discovered by playing with numbers is that the
> available crown of a rib could be completely used up or even exceeded
> and the rib's fspl is not exceeded depending on its dimensions.

That's the idea of a RC&S assembly. None of the component
parts is near it's stress limit, as is the case in panel
supported boards.

>So - if
> a rib has xmm of crown and 50% is taken up by the downbearing or string
> bearing load, in a static situation is it possible that additional rib
> motion due to the amplitude of the string become a sturctural issue?
> Seems to me it could.

Try to measure board excursion during play. In the low bass,
with the panel floated, you can get visible movement, but even
then, it's not a lot. If it becomes a structural issue, it's
because your ribs aren't sized anywhere nearly stiff enough to
support bearing load. It's a no worry zone. Choosing the
stiffness and mass appropriate to the point in the scale and
the expected load is problem enough, and takes you well past
any concerns with soundboard vibrational amplitude being
structurally destructive.
Ron N