[pianotech] Steinway console piano hammers

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 21:09:47 MDT 2009

Hello list.

Well, here's the outcome.  The Protek CLP that I spilled on the hammers did
not make one bit of difference in the tone of the hammers.  If anything at
all, it might have made it a tad better!  More mellow sounding.

Before I started working on this piano which according to the serial number,
was built in the 60's with brass billings hammer flanges of all things, the
tone was just horrible.  Very dull with no life at all.  It was so bad that
I wondered if I could actually improve it much or not without replacing
them.  Someone had filed the hammers flat on the striking point where it was
left that way for many years.  The hammers were very uneven as far as
spacing was concerned and regulation was way off.  It also had bobbling
hammers.  I had to be very careful filing because I didn't have a lot of
hammer felt left to make any mistakes on but I did have enough.  By the time
I was done filing hammers they had some sort of proper contour back on them
again as they should.  When I was done spacing them, I was actually VERY
surprised at how much more the tone had improved just from proper filing and
spacing of the hammers.   It brought the tone right back out again.  We (my
son and I) leveled the keys (yes, we crowned them), regulated the action and
key dip and we were both very pleased with the outcome of it.  Once again it
sounds and plays like a Steinway should sound.

Thanks for your advice on the CLP!  Maybe we should try using it as a new
voicing tool!  :-)

Jer

Jerry.5

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 090702-0, 07/02/2009
Tested on: 7/2/2009 11:09:46 PM