[pianotech] Shifting action rails

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Jul 4 00:12:32 MDT 2009

List,
   I was asked to prep a 3 year old 7' pearl river for a dealer friend of mine . Renner action with wood rails and not much overall wear.
 I found the regulation a mess. Letoff @ a half inch and no aftertouch . Keydip was ok as was the bedding. Blow was long but close enough that I would expect some aftertouch with letoff as it was. When I adjusted the letoff dowels  they were up against the rail thingee that mounts under the hammer rail and still letoff on the samples was still 1/4" .

I called Pearl River and got Dave Campbell right away. He directed me to the wippen action rail and suggested that it had shifted. Seems that there are no blocks glued to the rail to hold it stable. The screws were tight with all the rain here but indeed the rail had shifted.
I did a quick adjustment  to center the cushions on the capstans and locate the jack heels on the letoff buttons and everthing fell back into place. The blow distance shortened and letoff went to around 1/8"
The piano is now playable and ready for the regulation that one would  expect after a few years of play.
    I will check the Magic line and jump  right to reglating.
With the rail as tight as it was I might not have seen the solution very easily.
Once I have the rail position established I'll glue some sort of blocks to hold thing in place.
Thanks to Dave Campbell on this one.
I gotta bouce.
Tom Driscoll