[pianotech] rubber donut grommet tip

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 5 10:07:26 MDT 2009

Barbara Richmond wrote:
> Was that your mute I found in a piano, Will?
>
> Fine idea.  You can also use a bit of strip mute-like material without
> sacrificing mutes--unless you're cutting it off a strip mute you use
> frequently.  :-)

I carry an old, ever shorter, worn out strip for just that.
Sometimes, the mute(s) is (are) still there next tuning. Other
times, I get to hear the complaints of how AWFUL that string
sounded when, sometime shortly after I left (before which I
had showed them the mutes, explained what they were for, and
suggested they leave them alone), they *noticed* the strange
red felt things and pulled them out. The grommets might prove
to be less "sparkly", and more apt to go "unnoticed" later.

They might also be useful in front duplexes too.
Ron N