[pianotech] Vertical Touchweight

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 05:16:42 MDT 2009

Floyd:

Glad that you are sharing your project. Very little seems to be said
about making uprights play their best, especially when adjusting
touchweight. Here are some thoughts I have had about it.

Even though the weight of the hammer is not significant when using
gram weights, because the hammer shank is nearly vertical, the mass is
still felt when playing due to acceleration. The hammer return spring
tension is significant both statically (gram weight) and dynamically
(acceleration). Another peculiarity for consoles and spinets is the
bass hammers are thinner and much lighter. Again, this does not affect
the static weight, but does affect the dynamic feel. All in all I
think the bass hammers should have a few grams more static weight than
the low tenor, and the entire keyboard should average around 46 grams
downweight to have a similar feel to a grand with 50 grams downweight.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.