[pianotech] flipping a truck

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 14:57:37 MDT 2009

Hello, all

Something has been bothering me about this. Wouldn't the center of gravity on a piano mounted on a flipped truck be quite a bit higher, making the whole thing less stable - if force is applied at the wrong place in the wrong direction? Granted, a tripod (which is what we have here) is inherently the most stable configuration, but suppose sufficient upward force were for some reason applied at one of the legs - wouldn't it be possible for the whole thing to tip over along the line formed by the other two legs - given such a high center of gravity? Now I know that this is not likely, but we have here a bunch of ignoramuses doing unpredictable things with a piano...

Just musing while trying to postpone real work...

Israel Stein

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:56:23 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific phil at emvkeys.ca wrote:

>Please allow me to speak from actual experience.

>In the event of an accident causing damage or injury, an investigation
>will be reveal that certain parties intentionally and deliberatly
>employed the equipment in a manner not specifically intended by the
>maufacturer. This potentially puts the insurance company in a good
>position to refuse any damage or injury claim and further, it
>potentially transfers liability to every individual who failed to do due
>diligence toward preventing the accident. The whole schmozzle will be
>decided by a magistrate who knows nothing about pianos, trucks or
>risers. DAMHIK

Phil