[pianotech] Quick Question - New Type Steinway Lyre and LegAttachment

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Jul 9 11:21:41 MDT 2009

Ron,

I should have thought to replace the worn, chipped parts. My solution was to put srews into the wedges so the suckers won't come out. Works so far. I also heard a horror story of an M where all 3 legs fell off! Wish I could have seen that.

Jim

I've run into this too, where the trapezoidal plate wedge
system had been allowed to get loose enough, often enough, to
chip the edges enough that there was just barely enough
mechanical support left there to hold the legs on at best. I
fortunately (though by a narrow margin) still know a guy who
was underneath a B when the leg plates parted company, and was
saved from likely lethal tenderization by the reflexes of the
two people helping to roll the piano to the target position.
I'm not sure what he was doing under there, but he got an
adrenalin rush he'll remember for a long time when the leg
went. I replaced leg plates all around VERY shortly after
that. This isn't the only instance I've seen of this, so I'd
be happy to tote the extra load of an allen wrench if the more
recent system prevents this. The last local Steinway dealer
followed all the other local Steinway dealers into starvation
and oblivion over 15 years ago, so I don't see many new
Steinways here for comparison.
Ron N