[pianotech] Quick Question - New Type Steinway Lyre and LegAttachment

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 9 12:17:59 MDT 2009

Jim Busby wrote:
> Ron,
>
> I should have thought to replace the worn, chipped parts.
> My solution was to put srews into the wedges so the suckers
> won't come out. Works so far. I also heard a horror story
> of an M where all 3 legs fell off! Wish I could have seen
> that.
>
> Jim

Jim,
The problem I found with the old worn and chipped plates was
that they seemed to drive in nice and tight, but it took not
nearly enough side stress on the leg to make the things come
apart, even with the wedge still tight. Very scary! It made me
wonder how many three legged dead fall traps there are out
there waiting for the right - uh - vector thrust to spring the
trigger.
Ron N