[pianotech] Balance rail bushings

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 23:47:09 MDT 2009

I switched when I found there wasn't really much difference and I didn't
have to mess around with glue pots and urea and such.  It goes a bit faster
because the glue doesn't start to set up as fast and you can do more at each
spreading.   It's easier to keep the consistency of the glue constant as out
of the bottle the cold glue seems to be about right.  With hot glue
monitoring the consistency is very important:  too thin and it soaks
through, too thick and it squeezes out the top of the bushing when you
insert the caul  creating noise against the keypin when it hardens.
Otherwise,  I don't do much different.  I spread it with a hammer shank.
After the final caul goes in I like to let it dry overnight if possible but
at least for several hours.  After I remove the cauls I go through and test
each bushing for tightness with a final caul and ease as necessary before
putting them back on the keyframe.

Hot is fine too, I don't have anything against it.  I've just found the cold
hide glue to be easier and with no down side.  I'm into easier if it yields
the same result.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com