[pianotech] Balance rail bushings

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 09:25:51 MDT 2009

I've found that it's not the length of time the caul is left in but
the right thickness cloth.

I'm installing bushings on a Bjur upright, fantastic piano.  1mm was
too loose (.040"),
1.5 mm was too tight (.060"), 1.4 mm was just right (.055).  If cauls
fall out by their
own weight, the cloth is too thin. A firm but not tight fit makes for
a good gap.

Experiment with placing the cloth dry in the mortice and feel the
play on the key pins.

Use a chisel point Exacto knife to remove any glue bead which may have formed
at the  bottom edge of the cloth.  Finish the buttons with 180 or 220
grit sand paper
on a palm sander in groups of 8 to 10.
--

Regards,