[pianotech] Treble String Replacement

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 13 21:06:21 MDT 2009

I replaced strings for years with the 3 turns out until I took a class at a convention and finally got the hang of using a dummy pin.   I have a block of wood with a hole for the dummy tuning pin to sit in and small screw for the wire to bear against while coiling.   A T-hammer works, but I use one of those little floppy hammer thingys.
Turn the original pin out 1 full turn after lining the hole up towards the nose and keys.  I turn 3 turns on the dummy pin.   Through the agraffe/under capo and make one coil, push onto tuning pin.   Take rest of wire and pull towards hitch and then bend around hitch.   Then back through agraffe/pressure bar.   Cut for length and make another coil.   I find it harder to do on uprights and often just turn the pin out 3 turns.   Grands are mucho easier...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044