[pianotech] Treble String Replacement

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jul 13 21:31:08 MDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

To start with, I use a dummy pin that is cut off about a quarter inch below
the becket hole.  I tap it into my tuning pin crank so it stays there while
I'm working.  I find this easier than working with a full length pin.

I simply feed the string to its destination (yes, through the agraffe when
necessary)and cut it to its final length--I carry a tool that Terry Farrell
described and demonstrated in a 2007 post
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2007-May/206371.html.  I know I could
measure using my fingers, but the tool is in my kit, so I use it.

I feed the string through the dummy pin so that the end just sticks out,
maybe a 16th of an inch or less.  Bend the becket, which should pull the end
of the string in flush with the side of the pin.  I proceed to wind the
coils.  I then loosen the coils by backing off on my winding a little so
that I can extract the becket from the pin using my favorite bent
nosed/needle nosed pliers.

Slip the coil onto the already-backed-out pin.  Insert the tang of the
becket and do a preliminary squeeze with a pair of pliers.  Start to tighten
the coil, stopping to squeeze the becket a couple of times.  Tap and lift as
necessary to keep the coil tidy.  Seat the string, encourage the bends in
the right places, level the unison, etc.

Have fun!

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter