[pianotech] Treble String Replacement

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 13 22:25:43 MDT 2009

Hi, Matthew:
    You can learn a lot from a dummy!  (sorry!)
    I usually back the pin out a full turn, then wind about 3 coils on a dummy pin.  I have a coil winder so it's easier to do.  Remove the wire from the dummy pin and put the coil on the real pin and insert the becket wire in the hole.  Use a coil lifter to snug the coils up as you tighten the string.
    Of course, you've already installed the wire over the bridge, under the pressure bar, etc.
    Removing the coils from the dummy pin will be easier if you slot the pin with a hacksaw.  Make a cut across the pin so that the cut begins at the becket hole.  As you pry the wire out of the hole, the end of the wire can ride along the slot until it's free.  You won't have to pry it out of the hole as far to get it out.  When you put the coils on the pin, the becket will have some spring left in it which helps the becket end find the hole.
    You will need a tuning pin crank to use to wind the coils on the pin.  Using your tuning hammer won't work very well.
    If you choose to back the pin out 3-4 turns and use the original pin to wind the coils, you'll end up with a very loose pin.  I don't like that method.
    I'm sure there are some instructions in the archives about using a dummy pin.
    Have fun (in time you'll get a lot of practice, like it or not!)
    Paul mcClouD