[pianotech] Fw: Kawai Bushing

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 15 06:48:37 MDT 2009

Try PVC-E glue.

Paul

Michael Laffan <mikeybum at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/14/2009 07:45 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

cc

Subject
[pianotech] Fw: Kawai Bushing

Hello All

Seeing as how there's been talk of bushing over the past few days, I'd
like in on the act!! Anyone got advice on bushing a Kawai grand? I found
some mention of it on the list back in 2004, but I couldn't find a full
answer.

This is what I've done so far:
1 full bushing with hot hide glue: bushings loose, pulled out easily with
tweezers
Another partial bushing with hot hide glue : bushings still loose - easily
pulled out
Samples of Bolduc glue: holding a little better, but not great
Samples of Westle Nickel & Gross Action Glue: no good at all.

Brushed all mortices with thin hide glue solution, and let dry. Then tried
samples of hot hide glue and Bolduc. These I've left overnight to see what
happens in the morning, but I'm not really confident. I know this is all
to probably to do with the glue Kawai uses, and the trick is finding a
glue that adheres to its residue.  I've read about tri-sodium phosphate
for purging the wood, but I don't know how to apply this, or how well it
works.

Anyone out there got some tips?.Obviously, my boss isn't paying me to set
up a Key-Bushing Research Centre for the coming few days, so I'd like to
get this thing DONE!

Cheers all
Mike

2618-A Battleground Ave., Box 187